Thursday, August 13, 2009

So much fun in so little time

Well we are back from our whirlwind trip to Delaware and Arkansas. We had so much fun. Here are some notes from the trip.
Friday: Our first flight left San Diego at 12:00pm. We had to drop Sophie off at my grandparents house that morning so we got there around 9:30. When we were driving in the car we noticed Luke was making some pretty big grunting sounds so we both looked at each other and said YEAH, see he hadn't pooped in 8 days and I was so worried he would bless us with a blowout on the plane. We got to my grandmas and I changed him and of course he pooped through his outfit. I changed him and my very nice grandma kept the clothes and washed them while we were gone. We got to the airport 2 hours early and used every single minute of it. I can't believe how long it takes to do things with a baby. We checked 2 suitcases and Lukes carseat and base. Then we gate checked the stroller. We brought a diaper bag, my pump, a bag with other baby stuff, a boppy, and a backpack on the plane. Jason and I had it down though and after the first flight it was pretty easy getting around with all that stuff. On the second flight that day Luke pooped again. Of course he would do that but at least it wasn't as bad as the first time that day. We landed in Philadelphia around 10pm and drove to Jason's Aunt Sue's house. When we got there his aunt just "whipped up" some homeade marinara sauce with some spaghetti and a salad. She is amazing. She is the mom/wife I strive to be like (even my husband said why don't you be more like her).
Saturday: We woke up and realized that our amazing son slept through the night again!!!! His Aunt whipped up a fabulous breakfast and then we headed to the party for his uncle. We had so much fun. Luke was so awesome. There were around 100 or more people with very loud music and he would just let us know when he was ready for a nap and we would lay him in the pack n play that Jason's cousin Tim and his Wife Lisa brought for him and he would go to sleep. He had lots of fun playing with his 3rd cousin Kiersten. She is a total cutie. She was born April 2 so she is just over two weeks older than Luke. We were there for 6 hours and by the end of it Luke was done. We got back to his Aunts house and Luke took a very small nap and then was ready to play and hang out for the evening. He began talking up a storm while we were gone. As soon as you lay him on the floor he is babbling away.
Sunday: We woke up and Jason's Aunt made another awesome breakfast and then just as we were done and she cleaned that up she began on lunch! Then we headed to Arkansas. Luke had another good day on the airplane. My cousin Stacy's husband Dennis and my cousin Pat picked us up from the airport and took us to my Aunts condo that we were getting to stay in. The first night there was VERY hot. That is the only day Luke did not sleep through the night and he still woke up at 5am (really 3am our time).
Monday: Got up and went to see my Aunt Gemma who is staying with my Aunt Cathy. Got to see my cousin Melissa who is my age and I have not seen her in a very long time. We all headed to lunch at a place called Zaxbys (shoot I don't remember if that is how it is spelled or not), that my cousin Kaitlyn works at. I had such a good time visiting with everyone. That evening we went out to dinner with lots more family. After dinner we went back to my Aunt Bernadettes house and just hung out and played cards.

Tuesday: My Aunt Gemma had to go to an appointment in the morning so we did our own thing and met up with Jason's friend Clint who was on his umpire crew last year. We had lunch with him and one guy from his crew this year. That night we hung out with Stacy and her family. I actually got to see a lightening bug for the first time ever! I was so excited. Jason has been telling me about them for a very long time so I was so happy to finally see them.

Wednesday: Jason got up early and went golfing with my cousin Pat then we went to go see my Aunt Gemma before we had to leave. It was very difficult for me to leave Arkansas knowing that unless we get a miracle and get one very quickly I will never see my Aunt again. My dad left for Arkansas the day after we got home to see her. I hope he is having a good time. Later that afternoon my Aunt Bernadette and Uncle Jerry took us to Tulsa to the airport. Luke had another great flight. I am so fortunate that he was so good and we had a good experience. I was very nervous but he made it through just fine and continued to sleep through the night!!

I have to say that when I left Arkansas I was very sad. I felt like maybe we need to move there. We have always wanted to build our own house and we could do that there for sure and then I could have a much better chance of staying at home with my baby boy. Then I think of all the people I would be leaving behind here and I know that I don't want to move. If I ever do though I told Jason that I am starting my own Mexican restaurant. My cousin Pat said he wants to be the face of the restaurant so I will call it Primo Pats (cousin pats). I know we are right where we are supposed to be and I don't want to move but it sure does seem like a nice peaceful place to raise a family.

I know there is so much else I wanted to say but right now my kid has just started laughing up a storm and I want to go play with him and Jason!

He Loves his Raffi
Lukes cousin Kiersten
Lukey
Luke and Aunt Gemma

Luke with Aunt Gemma and Aunt Bernadette
Luke in his first Padres Tee shirt (thanks great grandma!!)
Luke and Primo Pat

1 comment:

Sara St. Jean said...

wow. can't believe you've never seen a lighting bug! we used to catch jars full of them as kids.