Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Dangerously close to toddler hood

One week from today my little baby boy will turn 1 year old. I have been feeling so emotional the last couple of days. When I say good bye and head to work I get teary eyed when I think about how much he has grown. I feel like Jason and I really started living when Luke was born. Why does time have to go so fast once you finally have everything you have wanted?

As we are crazily finishing up tax season (ok so not me but Jason!) and working really hard on prepping things for the huge party on Saturday, I find myself just really soaking up all the Luke time I possibly can. He has the most infectious laugh I have ever heard. He has a new thing he is doing when he is around a bunch of adults and he hears someone laughing he has to laugh like he knows why we are laughing. He is such a little ham. He has 4 teeth now (well the top two have broken through and the top left is about halfway down and the right is trying) but now the next two top teeth are trying to come through. He has been giving me more and more kisses. We have this game where I throw him down on the bed and then he grabs my hands and pulls himself up and kisses me then goes back down just to do it all over about 15 times. As gross as baby kisses really are (you know the open mouth sometimes tongue kisses) I love them! He is still giving "Love" to anyone who wants it and the cutest thing was when he gave sissy aka "Sophie" love the other day. He really has a gentle sweet side.

Then there is the not so sweet side. I'm not going to sugar coat it and pretend he is all kisses and love. He has a very bad habit of slapping me in the face. He seems to be getting a little better and hasn't done it out of anger in awhile but does it to get my attention now. He has also been biting. Now its a little hard to bite when you have 2 teeth on bottom and the two on top aren't really all the way down but he tries. If he doesn't get it the first time he will try a few times until he feels like he bit you. Then there is the bully side. We had some fantastic friends over the other night for Jason's 31st birthday and to break in the new grill and fire pit, and Luke was very mean to Rory. Of course the sweet little angel that she is rolled with the punches and didn't get upset. Luke would see Rory playing with one of the push toys and he would come over and pull her hand off and take it from her. Well she would just move on the the next push toy and he would come take that one. I felt really bad when Jason was trying to tell Luke not to do that and Rory thought he was getting after her and she got very upset. Not quite sure how to handle this. I'm really hoping he grows out of this soon.

As part of our discipline guidlines we try to avoid yelling NO at him. Its hard for me because I'm usually doing something else and the first thing that comes to my mind when he is getting close to doing something bad is to yell No quickly. We try to say Luke, we don't do that or Please don't do that. It actually seems to work a little better. Guess I have to try harder to stick with that instead of the yelling.

He is eating 3 meals a day now. He eats everything. I still have not found something he doesn't like. The only time we feed him anything is breakfast when he has oatmeal (and not the baby oatmeal anymore he has moved on to real people oatmeal) and either applesauce or yogurt. Then for lunch and dinner he has just about anything. His favorites are: cheese, any fruit, cooked veggies, toast, chicken, burritos, quesadillas, eggs, and just about anything else we eat. Its been a lot of fun to make him what we eat and just chop it really small.

I could go on and on with all the cute fun things he is doing now but I will spare you since I've already written half a book. I will say the cutest thing he has done recently is starting to sing along to music. Obviously not actual words but hums along and carries out long notes. So cute!
Well tomorrow I will try to post a before and after picture of his new haircut. We are going to get it done tonight. I'm nervous and excited!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Aww... they grow up so very fast! It is crazy to see how independent they are becoming and what little personalities they have. I keep thinking back to this time last year and all of the wondering I did about life before Hazel got here. Now I can't imagine life without her!

Loralyn Cross said...

Oh he wasn't that mean to Rory! He just wanted to play with his toys. But it was pretty funny when she showed you all how sensitive she really is; you barely have to look at her funny and she just breaks down and cries. Cheryl says thats how Ryan was. :0) Well we had a blast and I thought he behaved like a typical boy!